As baking junkies would know, baking soda is a great all-around cleaner. You can use it in many different ways to clean, polish, and get rid of grime. Additionally, it is a natural substance with antibacterial qualities and is used for health as well as cleaning.
You can combine it with vinegar and water. Just what is baking soda? It is sodium bicarbonate, a crystalline solid that is often a white powder. Furthermore, it is safe to ingest and use for cleaning. Studies show it can kill Streptococcus bacteria when you use it for cleaning. It will also make bread rise, absorb odors, and aid in heartburn.
Here are 15 tips for using this great cleaner as well as others:
1. Clean pet-bed smell – sprinkle on and let it sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum.
2. Dust off those stuffed animals – place in a large bag, add a cup of baking soda, and secure the top of the bag. Take outside and shake; the baking soda draws out the dust. When you bring it inside, vacuum the toy.
3. Clean your dishwasher or coffee pot – run a cycle with baking soda will clean and freshen
4. Scrub a crayon-painted wall
5. Get rid of tarnish on jewelry
6. Clean your fruits and vegetables – mix with water and lemon juice and wipe to remove wax on fruit
7. Clean oil stains off the driveway – sprinkle with baking soda and scrub with a stiff brush
8. Shower grout cleaner – make a paste of lemon juice and baking soda. Apply with a toothbrush and let sit for a few minutes. You can also combine it with bleach, using more baking soda. Wipe away to clean grout.
9. Clean your messy grills – after a season of grilling, dust some baking soda on the grill. Scrub to remove leftovers from a round of cookouts.
10. Floor cleaner without wax – use 1/2 cup in warm water and clean floors with a mop. Rinse.
Mixing baking soda with vinegar creates a magic solution that does the following:
11. Remove stains from coffee mugs, teacups, and travel mugs
12. Clean your drain – pour down a half cup of baking soda and a half cup of vinegar. Let the volcano effect take place and, after five minutes, flush with hot water.
If you are not a fan of baking soda, here are a few more weird ones that are supposed to work:
13. Clean your computer keyboard with slime – it gathers up the dirt and grime from between the keys
14. Clean the toilet with cola – pour it in, scrub and flush out stains
15. Clean your screens and screen doors by using a lint roller.
There you have it. That small package of baking soda can do a host of things, when it comes to cleaning. Additionally, your cola and slime can be put to good use when taken away from the kids and put to work. Have fun cleaning with these tips and tricks!