Ready to show off those family or travel photos in a new way and add a bit of pizazz to your home? Then consider crafting your own photo lamp.
You can do this in several ways, including:
- Creating your own unique lamp, from top to bottom, or
- Creating a unique lampshade to use on a lamp you already have.
Create Your Own Unique Lamp
You can make a lamp out of almost anything these days, from a coffee grinder to a clear vase. Take a look around and let your imagination take over. Then, follow these steps.
Create a Base for Your Lamp
The foundation for your lamp can be made out of just about anything. You will need to be sure you have a stable, flat bottom so the lamp won’t tip over, however.
To get your creative juices flowing, here are a few examples of what can be used as your base;
- Wood Items, such as boxes, bowls, and vases. Even driftwood can be used. Wood is one of the easiest materials to work with because it is easy to drill through.
- Ceramic Items, such as vases, pots, or even sculptures. You may need to weigh these down in order to stabilize a base. You will also need a ceramic drill bit.
- Glass Items, such as vases and various glass knick-knacks you have around the house. You can leave them empty or fill them up with sand and seashells, flowers, or various other items. You will need to have access to a glass drill bit in order to add the wiring.
- Metal Items, such as buckets, canteens, or urns.
- Books, glued together
Connect a Lamp Wiring Kit
Lamp wiring kits include all the electrical and hardware components needed to make your new lamp. Essentially, they contain a plug, electrical cord, and socket.
These kits can be found online and at home improvement stores and are user-friendly, even for beginners. Components come in different colors and styles, including Glossy Brass, Nickel Silver, and Antique Brass.
Choose a Lamp Cover
Choosing a cover for your lamp is another creative task. You can use a square vase, a small, round fish tank, or numerous other items. Just make sure that whatever you choose, it is clear so the light can shine through and show your photos.
Choose Your Photos to Display
This is where your design skills will come into play. First, measure your chosen lamp cover to determine how much space you have. Take a piece of paper or tape as many together as needed to match up with your measurement. This will help you visually conceptualize how many photos are needed, what size each photo needs to be, and in what order you want to position them.
Print Photos and Adhere to Lamp Cover
Print your collage of photos out on vellum paper. You can then tape or glue to your lamp cover. Be sure to leave space to overlap the ends and add the tape or glue.
Another option is to print your photos out on labels. These can all be the same size, or you can use different sizes. Then you simply arrange them on the lamp cover any way you like.
Create a Unique Photo Lampshade
If you prefer to use a lamp you already have, and just want to update it with a new photo lampshade, that can easily be done as well.
Choose a transparent, white, or other light-colored lampshade. Follow the same directions as for the lamp cover above.
Voila! Now you have a photo lamp to enjoy looking at every day.